Food. We all enjoy it as humans. But what do our fluffy friends think of it? What makes their diet different from ours?
Find out what dogs cannot eat and what to do if your dog eats it.
Let’s list them in alphabetical order.
This first item of what dogs cannot eat is pretty obvious. Humans react to alcohol in a disturbing way, so how would dogs react to it?
Even if consumed in small amounts, alcohol is toxic to dogs and can intoxicate your dog. If your dog does consume any products including alcohol signs of this may be high body temperature, disorientation, vomiting, restlessness, muscle tremors, seizures, and a high amount of panting.
Although almonds are not toxic to dogs it is not recommended for them. If eaten, they can block the esophagus or even tear the windpipe if not chewed properly.
Salted almonds are even worse as they can increase a dog’s thirst and even cause heart disease.
Avocados pit, skin and leaves contain persin which is toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
The next thing on the list is blue cheese. Just like milk, dogs find it hard to break down the lactose in blue cheese. Most blue cheeses include a substance called roquefortine C which is sensitive to dogs.
Some symptoms if a dog has eaten blue cheese can be: vomiting and diarrhoea and sometimes also tremors, twitching, seizures and a high temperature if eaten in large quantities.
Next food like caffeine can cause similar effects as chocolate. However, caffeine is known as a stimulant which is known for making people feel more awake or confident.
If digested by your dog there could be serious caffeine poisoning. It can cause them to lose muscle control or have seizures or tremors. Making your pet vomit is one of the best ways to help as this causes them to get rid of the toxicity.
Cherry plants contain cyanide and are toxic for dogs (with the exception of the fleshy part around the seed). Cyanide disrupts cellular oxygen transport. If you see your dog has red gums or dilated pupils it might be a sign of some cherry eating.
Have you ever sat at the dining table with your dog staring at you waiting for a piece of your dinner? This behaviour is pretty common in dogs. Most people know that chocolate is a big ‘no no’ when it comes to dogs.
Chocolate contains something called theobromine which dogs cannot metabolize efficiently.
If your dog eats chocolate some effects that may happen include: vomiting, seizures, tremors and diarrhoea. Ingesting chocolate can be fatal for your dog, so keep them away from it.
Even though feeding your dog bones seems like a good idea for keeping their gums healthy, this might be not such a good idea.
However, you should always monitor your dog when they eat them. Bones can break and splinter causing your dog to choke or get caught in their throat.
This can be very painful and eventually cause death. Bones should always be given raw. Cooked bones change their structure and should be never given to the dog.
Corn on the Cob
Corn is one of the common ingredients in most cheap dog foods, but dogs cannot really digest corn. It can cause blockage of the intestines or perforation.
Depending on the dog, these could be corn symptoms: sickness, diarrhoea, tiredness, difficulty pooping or producing small amounts of poo, poor appetite and abdominal tenderness or pain.
Grapes and Raisin
Grapes are one of the first things you teach dogs to not eat. Consuming grapes can cause kidney failure in a dog’s digestive system. In addition, it can also cause anuria which prevents urine production.
Almost all nuts are safe for your dog with one exception of macadamia nut. If consumed the consequences of it may include: vomiting, ataxia, hypothermia, weakness and even depression. So if I were you just stick to peanuts.
Milk is the food on the list. Dogs do not have enough enzymes to break down lactose in milk. Milk can be used to reward your dog every once in a while.
However, it should never be given in large amounts as this would cause many problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, and loose stools.
Just like humans, mouldy foods are not good for your dog. Consuming anything with even the slightest mould can make your fluffy friend be very sick. Keep any old food away from your pet and feed them good, fresh food.
Most of the mushrooms are toxic to humans, so for dogs, they are even worse. The white, washed mushrooms that you buy in the supermarket should be ok, but what is the point of giving them to the dog. Dogs, in general, like meat or meat products.
You have to be particularly careful on walks in the forest or in the park after the rain as wild mushrooms, which are normally toxic, can be licked or consumed by your dog. This is where your ‘Leave’ command can be useful.
Onion, garlic and chives
The next things to avoid giving your dog are onions, garlic and chives. These vegetables can cause red blood cell damage that may also cause anaemia. Ingesting a small amount of these may just cause laziness or make your dog weak.
The green part of tomato contains a toxic substance called solanine. Your dog will only get sick if it eats too much of it, but it is better to keep it away.
Yeast dough is the next on the list. It can be fatal if consumed, as the yeast dough expands and ferments in the dog’s stomach which will cause severe abdominal distention. Definitely another thing to stay away from.
What dogs cannot eat - summary
Dogs like meat – this is obvious. If you have meat or meat products they are very happy to eat them. There is no point in giving your dog human food. As, in general, human food should be ok, it is not really good practice – obviously, with the exceptions, we listed above.
However, If you ever experience your pooch reacting to any of the symptoms listed above, seek veterinary advice as some of these may be fatal.
Hopefully, this has helped you understand the importance of keeping certain foods away from your dog.